Monday, July 12, 2010

Exceptional Self-Care

I am happy to revisit the topic of Self-Care, which is the final Activity in preparation for my College Course next week.  What I love about Transformational Life Coaching is that it offers the opportunity for Clients to achieve balance in their lives in terms of Physical, Emotional, Mental and Spiritual Aspects of Self, essentially a Balance of Yang Masculine and Yin Feminine.  I also love the opportunity to bring in Self-Awareness of the importance of Self-Care.  This is great for me and for my Coaching Clients. 

I read my notes from my Teacher "Exceptional Self-Care... establish or renew a commitment to take VERY good care of yourself.  Underpinning any Self-Care behaviour, such as getting sufficient rest, receiving bodywork, not doing every little thing that others expect of you, etc, is an attitude of valuing one's Self-Care, and a willingness to follow through... When you support clients to learn to support themselves better in this way - and role-model Self-Care yourself - they are likely to adopt better habits and thus experience a boost in their energy.  This then makes it naturally more possible to be more present in their life, and the lives of others.  The term 'Exceptional Self-Care' highlights an intention to uphold this way of living."

I look up the definition of 'Exceptional' - "Being an exception; uncommon; well above average; extraordinary".  I feel Inspired.

I look at the 'Exceptional Self-Care' Activity, a Holistic Approach that looks at what can be done on the Physical, Emotional, Mental and Spiritual levels to improve my Self-Care.  Rather than just being in the mind in a Yang mode - I tune into my Yin Intuition and Feelings and I have a sense that I can be Exceptional in my Self-Care:
Physical
- Massage - at least one every three months
- Walk in Nature - at least four times per week (I love my Walks in Nature)
- Yoga - at least once a week (I love that I have finally started Yoga)
- Sweet-free at least Monday-Thursday (I remember not eating sweets for about 9 years and I enjoy being able to relax and enjoy sweets now and yet I also want to limit the sugar in my diet)

Emotional
- Check in with my Feelings on a daily basis, a few times a day 
- Trust my Body, Felt Sense, Intuition rather than just being in my Thinking
- Journal and Art Therapy when I feel called to express myself

Mental
- Meditation 15-30 minutes per day
- Affirmation to STOP any overthinking or worrying

Spiritual
- Meditation 15-30 minutes per day
- Pray and give thanks on a daily basis with an Attitude of Gratitude.


I feel that in the last two weeks I have just been reading and reviewing all of these forms and making lists of all of the gaps I have in my life and identifying Areas where I need ACTION.  And so I am especially loving that I can balance this out with Self-Care.  I am especially keen to book a massage - hmmm... that sounds like a great idea!!!


There is so much to do.  I will write this twice - THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO!!!  And yet this week I will enjoy each day.  I am not going to overthink things or worry, or even think about ALL of the things I need to do.  I am just going to be Present in the NOW.  This feels to be such a great way to Honour Self and to Practice Exceptional Self-Care.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment