Saturday, October 16, 2010

My Decluttering Begins

My Decluttering Begins...

Yesterday I heard such wonderful wisdom to help me with my Decluttering - when looking at an item, ask "Is this who I was... or is this who I am becoming?"  Wow... what a difference this can make!

Originally I thought it was about keeping what I love - and yet this can also include holding on to stuff that was once important to me.  Now I can focus on who I want to be and what is important to me.

It is all about Energy - what is taking away my Energy and what is fuelling my Energy.

I start with my bookshelves.  My Belief was that I couldn't let go of any more books, that I  had already cleared my books about 6 months ago.  And yet for 30 minutes this morning I looked at my books with a new lense "Is this who I was... or is this who I am becoming?"  When in doubt, I held each book and felt into my body - is this giving me positive energy or is it taking away my energy - this was helpful when looking at books that may have been associated with past relationships - and I did realise how easily a simple book can be an Energy Leak - clouded with a sad or painful memory or uncertainty, wasting my thoughts and mental energy.

Another indicator for me was when thinking about the topic of the book, tuning into whether I felt very Excited about the topic or book and if there was any chance I would want to read it in the future - if unsure I made the brave decision of letting it go - I want items that definitely do not clutter my space and drain my energy.  I can rest assured in knowing that I could easily Google information on a topic and also Trust that in the future I will be attracted to new books that are of interest at that time.  For now I can let go of such books as 'Natural Beauty', on natural skincare products - given that this has sat on my bookshelf for years and I have never once mixed up a recipe of cucumber and yoghurt - this is definitely taking up space.  My 'Galloway's Book On Running' was hard to pull off the shelf, given how much I love running, and yet I don't really need this book - one day when I get back to running, it will be for the pure joy of running - and so I add this to my pile of books.

ACHIEVEMENT: 47 books cleared from my bookshelves - 33 to sell at my Garage Sale and then the remainder to go to a second hand Bookstore - 3 to give to a friend + 11 to give to my Brother and Parents.

Yahoo... My Decluttering Begins... I feel happy with my Achievement...

I feel the motivation to continue.  I approach the Study and my cupboard with caution.  I set myself 1.5 hours to see what I can achieve in this time.  I feel very determined to clear clutter and clear some Energy Leaks.  I am ruthless with my bags - I have 2 containers filled with an assortment of bags - from evening bags, handbags, backpacks, overnight bags.  There are some bags that I like, and yet I do not LOVE them, they are not who I am becoming - time to let go of them.  And then there is an overnight bag that is practical and 'should' be kept - and yet this is a bag that has an energy of an ex-husband - and the bag itself does not inspire me to want to go on holidays - I decide to add it to the pile of items for next week's garage sale.  And then I add a few pieces of accessories like beads and a broach that I like and yet have not worn for years, not even sure if I ever wore them.

I have so much paperwork - this is a challenging area - so much paperwork, bills, study material, brochures.  I manage to clear some clutter in this area - enough to make me feel that I have made some progress.

I feel Inspired to keep clearing clutter - tomorrow the sorting of the garage begins - thankfully I have some helpers.  I am Excited by the prospect of having less "stuff" and MORE SPACE.  With MORE SPACE comes the opportunity for Spirit to rise with an Invitation for more to come that nourishes me in my highest good.

I Google Decluttering and find some other great tips that will help me with this Project:
- Stop bringing in new stuff (that does not Inspire or Support me in who I am becoming...) - even flyers, brochures, newspapers that add to the clutter
- Before buying something, think, does this have heart and meaning for me and is it something I need right now
- Remember everything doesn't have to be done at once - divide the overall picture into little tasks - a small task can be easily tackled and successful completely, and Celebrate each step - I also like Declutter for 15 minutes/ day (this seems very achievable and not overwhelming)
- As a Coach, I also have a Vision of this clutter-free home, easy to clean, a lot of Space - a place for everything and everything in its place
- I like the tip of when sorting through things and trying to decide whether to keep an item or not, ask yourself if you would buy it if you didn't already have it.

My Destroyer Archetype, the energy within me that is focused to clear what is no longer serving me, has been very active today.  I love this Part of me and I am definitely keen for this Part to be very active again tomorrow.


"To change skins, evolve into new cycles, I feel one has to learn to discard. If one changes internally, one should not continue to live with the same objects. They reflect one's mind and the psyche of yesterday. I throw away what has no dynamic, living use." Anais Nin


No comments:

Post a Comment