Sunday, April 25, 2010

Anzac Day - Reflect and Bake

Up at 4.30am to go to the Anzac Day Ceremony at Cronulla - it wasn't hard to get up so early - initially I woke up at 3.30am and was looking forward to today.  I was so glad to pay tribute to the men and women who have served and serve our Country.  Walking to the Ceremony, I was upset, reflecting on my Nana's three Brothers, my Mum's Uncles, who were Prisoners of War, and when they got back from war they were never the same - I didn't know my Mum's Uncles - yet I am upset thinking about the impact on my Nana and Mum - the stories that my Mum has shared with me.

I loved some of the key words that the guest speakers said in their speeches - Honour, Admiration, Humility, Service, Light in Darkness, Community, Reflection, Hope, Courage.  It was raining, it was dark and we were surrounded by so many people with umbrellas - it was wonderful that there were so many people gathered this morning.  We could not see much - yet we heard the tributes, the words - we said 'Our Father' Prayer and sang the National Athem - I am proud to be Australian.

Once home, I enjoy watching the Anzac Day March on television - it is wonderful to just Respect and Reflect - wonderful men and women and loved ones of men and women who have passed.  And I love seeing the marching bands - I love that the youth and the schools are involved in the day.  This morning I hear my Man's stories, how he was in a marching band with school and played the trumpet - I imagine him being in the crowd - he is a good Man - I am blessed.  

I was planning on typing up some Coaching notes, yet I feel the kitchen calling me - I decide to bake!!!  One of my Goals has been to cook more vegetarian dishes and I have also been keen to bake healthy cookies, muffins and cakes.  Now that I have more time and I have created a home with my Man - I am motivated!!!  And this is one of my Projects where I am witnessing my Yin and Yang working together to create magic and bring my dreams to life.

My Yang energy looks up recipes on the net and my Yin reviews and explores, feels into the recipes to get a sense of what recipe is right - and then my Yin gets a sense of the right recipe, with a couple of minor changes that feel more right.  The main recipe I use is on a cooking Blog, straight away my Yin feels connected - http://www.mydiversekitchen.com/2009/02/anzac-biscuits.html - although I make a few changes - using half wholemeal flour, olive oil instead of butter, not using salt, and only using 1/2 cup brown sugar. 

My Yin loves the story that I find on this Blog - "ANZAC biscuits, originally known as Soldiers' biscuits, were made by the women back home to send nutritious food to their soldiers who were fighting in World War I. Made from the few ingredients available then, these slightly hard biscuits kept and shipped very well. It used to take about 2 months for the biscuits to reach the soldiers in those days!  Anzac biscuits also contain no eggs, unlike most biscuits/ cookies, as a large number of poultry farmers had joined the army and eggs were scarce."  And even though some recipes have eggs - my Yin wants them to be as authentic as possible.

So I blend and I make and bake my ANZAC biscuits - my Yang in action.  My Yin is so happy to enjoy  them with a nice pot of green tea with my Man, on my nice yellow tablecloth - sharing time and conversation - moments of Spread The Yellow.  Anzac biscuits are delicious!



And then I make a batch of love heart Anzac Biscuits - some for my Man, and tomorrow I hope to see some friends and Spread The Yellow by sharing my Cooking creations...

              

Whenever we have a recognised 'holiday' - I like to be conscious of why we have a day off work - or what this day is about - and I like to spend time in Reflection and Acknowledgement - this is important to me.  I like to Respect and Honour Traditions and I also like to Create my own rituals - Anzac Day - Reflect and Bake - a perfect day for me.


Now it's time to run a bath...

2 comments:

  1. Kath, I'm really enjoying your blog! And so excited to see you getting excited about food, because that's exactly where I'm at... and talking to Christie about it all is really helpful to keep me encouraged!
    I love reading about all the wonderful, magical things you fill your life with... sounds like you're always having fun xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the heart shapes :) every year anzac cookies are the one thing that i still get mum to make as thtas what i remember from childhood... mummy's cookies, not mine haha. but she wasnt here this year! i might have to do a batch today to surprise her when she gets home! YEH! I'm going too! let you know how i go!

    ReplyDelete