Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Eating Animals

I have been reading the book 'Eating Animals' by Jonathan Safran Foer for the last few weeks.  It is definitely a book that has opened my eyes and opened my heart. 


I read a few pages each day - there are so many stories, so many facts and figures - so much heartbreak.

I saw this book promoted on 'Ellen' and I loved hearing the author talk about his Mission to create Conversations after reading his book.  This book definitely has the ability to create Conversations.  It has the capacity to change lives - change the world - one by one.  I am Inspired to make changes in my life.

I could retype sections or paragraphs from the book - there is so much in this book - yet there are some parts in the book that really stand out for me.  The author talks about his dog, how much he loves his dog and offers the space for us to consider why it would never be okay (in most countries) for us to eat our dogs, yet that we find it easy to eat meat from cows, chickens, pigs.  Another similar story that stands out for me is the story of Knut, the first polar bear born to Berlin Zoo in 30 years, and how much Knut was loved by the City with people crowding into the zoo to watch Knut - yet just a few metres away from Knut's enclosure was a stand selling "Wurst de Knut", made from the flesh of factory-farmed pigs, "which are at least as intelligent and deserving of our regard as Knut.  This is the species barrier."


 

It is surprising to me, when I read about "Bycatch" - the amount of species that are regularly killed in pursuit of "seafood" - "What if there were labeling on our food letting us know how many animals were killed to bring our desired animal to our plate?... Imagine being served a plate of sushi.  But this plate also holds all of the animals that were killed for your serving of sushi.  The plate might have to be five feet across."

This statement stands out for me - "Factory farming's success depends on consumers' nostalgic images of food production - the fisherman reeling in fish, the pig farmer knowing each of his pigs as individuals, the turkey rancher watching beaks break through eggs - because these images correspond to something we respect and trust."  It is interesting - I believe it is all about Awareness and Consciousness - if the regular consumer was aware of the facts and images behind Eating Animals - I am sure that people would make different choices.  It is similar to the plight of Orang-utans - I am sure if people had a Consciousness that using regular soap means chopping down tress that threaten Orang-utans, than I am sure that people would look for alternatives.

Consciousness is a big thing for me - I am wanting to be Conscious of my choices in terms of the Environment and Eating Animals.  Recently we went to Yum Cha with friends - it was crazy (in my opinion) - we all sat around a round table and we just kept getting dishes and dishes and dishes and dishes and dishes served to us - I just kept hearing friends saying "yes" "yes" "yes" "yes" "yes" - and what appeared to be eating unconsciously between tangents of stories.  I love getting together with friends - and yet I was very happy that last week we met at a cafe, where I happily enjoyed a Vegetarian pizza with my Man and most of all enjoyed more space for great Conversations with friends - more opportunity to Connect, time of Spread The Yellow.

I am only halfway through the book - and I am distressed when I read descriptions of the suffering of cows, pigs and chickens.  The author has not included any photos - yet these are easy to find on the Internet.  Here is a site on what is happening in Australia - images and words are definitely upsetting - there is a lot of information on this site - http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/ar-mindless.html

I have previously been a Vegan - this was about 8 years ago.  At the same time I was very into my Running, and so I was very much into my carbs - eating a lot of pasta - rather than learning about healthy Vegan living.  I am now finding it more difficult to eat animal flesh - I don't eat chicken or red meat.  And I have been hesitant to take on the label of Vegetarian - even though this is definitely my preference - Eating Animals no longer works for me.

Last time I adopted a Vegan lifestyle, it was difficult - mentally, emotionally, socially.  I remember not wanting to use the same chopping board or knives as my ex-husband (yes, I was obsessive) - and I remember going out to dinner and asking the waiter 20 questions, such as, asking about the stock used in the risotto.  Looking back this was a stressful time - especially, since my relationship was not working.

I feel different now.  I do not want to get so stressed or restrictive - although I do want to make Conscious choices.  I also no longer want to get up on the soapbox and try and convince others to change or adopt a certain lifestyle.  I can only make choices for myself and be true to myself.  Most important for me is respecting the choices of others, where we meet in a peaceful space. 

In my heart, Eating Animals does not feel right for me.  Yet this is a journey - at this point I am still eating fish (Consciously) - although the facts in this book are definitely upsetting - and I am always conscious of blessing the fish before I eat them - although - it is still very hard for me.

And I live with my Man who enjoys eating meat.  I learnt a lot from living with my ex-husband and I want to always Learn from my experiences.  And so I accept our differences.  Tonight I eat a Vegetarian patty and salad, and although my Man would normally cook his own meat, he is working later, he has been working so hard, with so little sleep, and so I bless his meat and cook it for him.  In my Mission to Love and Serve through my Coaching and as I Spread The Yellow, it is important to me that I always make time and space for my Loved ones.  I am Grateful to be at home and we enjoy dinner together.

I don't like preparing and cooking Animals, I don't like Eating Animals - yet, I love my Man - and I am glad to prepare a meal for him - since he has been happily enjoying all my Vegetarian dishes. 

I will continue to read this book and continue to embrace a preference for a Vegetarian lifestyle, without the label (for now), and I will see where this Journey flows...


No comments:

Post a Comment