Sunday, April 4, 2010

To Love and To Serve

Today is Easter Sunday.  What does that mean to me?  Easter to me is... Family.  Easter to me is... Love.  Easter to me is... Connection.  Easter to me is... Giving.  Easter to me is...

I was blessed to receive a beautiful Easter card, made by my beautiful Niece.



I am also very lucky to have a boyfriend who loves to spoil me and make me feel extra special - he organised an Easter Egg Hunt around our home, where there were 20 surprises hidden, including 20 Love Hearts with reasons why he loves me - WOW - he is very thoughtful and his acts of thoughtfulness definitely Spread The Yellow to me.  He also gave me 2 perfect cookbooks, since he knows I am really enjoying getting back into cooking - and the recipes look great. 


We had a lovely day - Easter lunch at Gareth's Mum's place and she was lovely in also inviting my Mum and Dad to join us.  We had a lovely lunch, we are blessed to have so much food to enjoy.  I was also happy to receive a nice pair of warm pjs from my Parents - I definitely feel the cold in winter - so I am all set.

I thought we had enjoyed a great Easter today - that our Easter celebration or the major part of our day was over... or so I thought...

Yet I decided I would like to go to Church, given that it is Easter.  Although I was brought up Catholic and I am not against the Catholic Church, and would happily go to Mass or be involved in Catholic celebrations, I have found a small Community Church, called the Kingsway, to be a place I feel at home.  I haven't been to Church for a long time - probably all year - I'm not sure why - but I am thankful that I was led back home today.  

Right from the beginning of walking in the door I felt Excited and Inspired.  I was reminded of why we have Easter and what it means when we talk about Jesus dying on the cross and rising again - that he loves us - that he did this for us.  The Minister talked about the importance of being in proximity and intimacy with each other.  He said that we are born to be in presence with Jesus, as this is where we find life and peace.  He talked about the importance of Connection with Jesus and God.  

I felt uplifted by the music - the band - the words - the singing - I sang out aloud in praise to Jesus and God.  I also loved the opportunity to pray - so often I forget to pray - or give thanks to God.  I show gratitude and appreciation everyday - yet I want to feel into my Connection with God and walk with him.

What I really love about the Kingsway is that the Church is very active in Serving the Community - I really love this about the Church and the people.  Often on a Saturday evening when Gareth and I are out for dinner we will see the Frog Crew, a group of young people having a presence in Cronulla mall, just being there for the young, to offer Hope, a chance to Connect, Christianity in ACTION.  I love that there is no pressure in this Community, no pressure to join, or come every week, or participate - just come as you are - there is no expectation to be perfect.  I love that they very much Encourage each other, Support each other, Acknowledge each other.

Tonight at Church there was Communion and Prayer and the Offer of saying to Jesus - I Am Here - and I felt Very Inspired.  During this time I say a Prayer of Thanks, especially for my Mum, who is alive and well and energetic and healthy and happy, after years of battling with cancer.  Thank You Jesus and God for Life.  Thank You Jesus for Rising from the dead - to bring us Hope. 

I am spiritual, I am open to all religions and teachings, I am definitely drawn to buddhism, and at the heart I am Christian - I believe in God - I want to walk in the Light and have a personal relationship with Jesus and God.  Recently, a phrase that keeps coming to me, from growing up Catholic and regularly going to Mass is the end farewell statement made by the Priest before the final hymn - "Go now to Love and To Serve the Lord" - I really love that - and this definitely resonates with me in my Mission to Spread The Yellow - simply in my Mission to Love - definitely in my desire to Make A Difference.

For the last 2 years I have felt a Call to help Serve the Poor, to Love the Children who live in poverty.  I am not sure where this Call will take me - but I do know that in my lifework as a Coach, and in my business that I will definitely donate money to help build communities and help the Children.  I would also love to travel and have the opportunity to work amongst the poor To Love and To Serve.

After Church I came home and was looking up some facts about poverty around the world - astounding, upsetting, heartbreaking:
http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats 
- According to UNICEF, 24,000 Children die each day due to poverty
- Based on enrolment data, about 72 million Children of primary school age in the developing world were not in school in 2005
- Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names
- Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every Child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen
- Almost two in three people lacking access to clean water survive on less than $2 a day, with one in three living on less than $1 a day
-  There are 2.2 billion Children in the world - 1 billion live in poverty
- There are 640 million Children without adequate shelter, 400 million Children with no access to safe water,
270 million Children with no access to health services - CAN YOU IMAGINE!
- 1.4 million Children die each year from lack of access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.

Here are some clips that make me speechless and make me sad - I can't actually put into words how these images affect me - yet I know that I definitely feel Empowered, to do what I can, to Make A Difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d-FxpOoVPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWnlH1W87OA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt4aWojF9Rg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc2L2DkIK-w&feature=related


I am not sure where this journey will lead me - and I am very happy that today I went back to Church, to Community - I am Thankful that I can be open to God to show me where I need to be... to continue to Inspire me to Live On Purpose...

So let me end where I began - Easter to me is... Family. Easter to me is... Love. Easter to me is... Connection. Easter to me is... Giving.  Easter to me is... Jesus.  Easter to me is... Love.  Easter to me is... Hope.  Easter to me is... Rising from the Dead... Easter to me is Presence with God... Easter to me is... Community.  Easter to me is... Prayer.  Easter to me is... Being Thankful and Grateful.  Easter to me is... Worship and Singing Out Loud.  Easter to me is... Joy.  Easter to me is... Being Aware of Sadness.  Easter to me is... Compassion.  Easter to me is... Great Stories that Inspire.  Easter to me is... Awareness of Suffering to Inspire Us to Act...

Easter to me is... To Love and To Serve...

No comments:

Post a Comment