Saturday, April 3, 2010

Take A Moment

It is Good Friday.  What does that mean?  Religion - it can be such an interesting topic, and the responses to any questions are personal (and 'should not' require explanation or justification - just pure acceptance).  Many would agree, that it certainly is a Good Friday - since most of us have the day off work - and I would agree that this would make it a great day.  I Google (just love Google) why is it called Good Friday - and this is a response "Christians believe the day is 'good' because the message of Easter is of Christ's victory over sin, death, and the devil... Believing in the Good News of the Gospel (Jesus, son of God, who died and was raised again) is our hope."

Growing up Catholic and now being a blend of Christianity and Spirituality, I am comfortable with Jesus and with God.  I am Spiritual, I embrace Christianity, I also love the Buddhism philosophy - and yet if you asked my opinion on my beliefs, I do without doubt believe in God.  I have recently experienced the gift of Miracles in my own life - with my Mum and her journey with cancer.  Yet I remain open to learning and embracing Spiriuality and respect the beliefs of others. 

Today I am choosing to have a quiet day - in honour and in respect.  I did Take A Moment to reflect on Jesus and his dying on the cross - he was brave and loved us.  I remember watching a television show last night and one of the characters was saying that she had a dilemma and the priest said - "Ask, what would Jesus do?"  I love this question, as Jesus was always open and acted from a place of love. 



This reflection made me pick up my Bible tonight and I was reading where Jesus Teaches about Light - Matthew 5:14-15 "You are the light of the world.  A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."  I do love these words. 

I also feel that if someone I loved died today, then I would reflect on their life - so I reflect/ actually revisit the life of Jesus through his teachings in the Bible.  It is interesting, I read so many books, sooooo many books, I love reading, I love great words, I love learning - and yet I am realising that there are some great messages in the Bible - Matthew 7:3-5 "And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?  Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye?  Hypocrite!  First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

I also love Matthew 7:7-12 "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.  Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent?  If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!  (sounding like the Law of Attraction) Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

Wisdom abounds... and surrounds me...

Today I was "supposed" to run, according to my Goal plan but I have a cold and have been feeling tired - so I did, what I never would have done, all those years ago, when running was "of most importance to me", I allowed myself to sleep in, and then decided to just go for a nice long walk in the sun.

It was very wonderful taking a relaxing walk.

As I was walking around the Esplanade - I was able to Take A Moment, many Moments and savour the breathtaking views.  Along the Cronulla Esplanade there are so many park benches, so many people run and walk the Esplanade - and yet the seats provide a great opportunity to just sit and be with the view.  As I have recently discovered, many of these park benches are dedicated to past residents of the area - it is beautiful to read the inscriptions on the plaques.  I felt the honouring and silence that you feel when you are at a museum or at a cemetry, certainly in reverance - to just Take A Moment and read about these people who were loved.  Here are some photos - photos of the benches, the words of dedication, and the views from sitting on these park benches. 








I was very touched to Take A Moment to reflect on these people who are now gone from the lives of those who loved them. When I sat on the seats dedicated to those people who had died at an older age, I was still, and in a quiet Moment, I asked them to flow their wisdom to me.  Yet, when I sat with the sorrow of the small boy who had died so young (see photos below) Nicolas Watkins, who died at 8 years old - it saddened my heart - I could not imagine having my Nieces taken from us - I was humbled by their dedication "God has Nic in his keeping, We have him in our hearts." - I do not know how this young boy died, yet I was gracious in the knowing that his family maintained their faith...


There were other park benches, and other beautiful words, and I am happy that I had the time and inspiration to Take A Moment.  There was one woman who had died at the young age of 35 - it made me think of how lucky I am to be alive, and that I need to make the most of my time and be Grateful for every day, and make the most of every day. 

I wonder about the words that would be written and inscribed for me - and I realise that I have a Choice of the life I choose to lead, who I choose to be - certainly spending time with those I Love is the most important to me - and I am so Inspired to Spread The Yellow, and Make A Difference.

I found my path back to busy Cronulla, so many people out and about enjoying the beach - it was wonderful to see everyone enjoying themselves and enjoying the ocean.  I was also happy to run into an old friend, a dear friend - who shared with me his wonderful news that him and his Wife are having a baby.  I am so happy for them.  After quiet time and reflections on dear Souls who have passed - it was wonderful being in Conversation, in Congratulations, as my friend looks to Welcome a new, precious baby into their Life, into the World. 

Life - what a GIFT...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Giver of the Yellow

    What a lovely Easter Day Posting.

    I think Jesus principals are pure and uplifting and that it it man's interpretation that is incorrect. Google tells us Easter honor's Christ's victory over sin, death, and the devil. This is the very interpretation that causes us so much pain. That somehow we are flawed and sinners and evil and we should fear these disowned aspects of ourselves and to fear our own mortality. It is this misguided thinking that causes us so much pain for which Jesus was a portal to take on all our suffering. We are perfect. We are everything. We are light and we are dark. We are angels and we are demons. When we embrace that we are all things we can step out of the duality and thus step out of our pain. Not merely a decision in our minds but to feel it in every cell of our body. How we do this I am not sure, but I suspect its take a great course of our own suffering before we even get close.

    Sofia Tsiamoulis

    ReplyDelete